Sunday, September 07, 2008

Tourist Living in the City

Last weekend I moved into my first apartment outside of the South. To be more precise, I moved into an apartment in Astoria (Queens). I've lived in New York for a month now, and I'm not a single step closer to becoming a New Yorker. Don't worry, that's not my goal; I'm just very much a tourist who happens to live and work in New York. I hear you asking how that's possible. Trust me--it is. Let me elaborate . . .

On Tuesday morning I took got off the train and headed to work. My stop is 34th street. If you've been to New York, you know that there are usually multiple exits at each subway stop. The smaller ones might only have one, but often there's at least two. Signs point out whichever intersection you're exiting to and even which corner (e.g. Lexington Ave and 59th St. NW corner). Bigger subway stations have a multitude of options with exits on different streets and such. This particular Tuesday morning, I simply went out the nearest exit instead of walking underground to an exit closer to my office. As I got to the top of the stairs I noticed Macy's. "Nice," I thought, "I know where I am. There's Macy's, and I'm on 34th street." A light bulb went off in my head. "Wait a second, that's the Macy's on 34th street. Oh my God, Miracle on 34th Street." Yeah, I'm a nerd.

Thursday I left my karate class (oh yeah, I started taking a mixed martial arts class - I'm a white belt) and headed to the train to go home. I passed two Broadway shows and Times Square on my way to the train. It's so weird for that to be normal.

The hardest part of living in this city is passing beggars on the street. I don't like it. I want to help, but I don't know how. I know I'm supposed to donate to charities and not give cash to people, but it still sucks. It helps knowing that I work for an organization that's goal is to reduce educational inequity. It still doesn't make it easier passing people on the street though.

Other than that, life is good. I had lunch at Tiffany's today instead of breakfast. I'm learning the subways, sort of. (I will never understand the buses.) I have a very cute apartment (on par with my State Street one). I'm a fan of this place so far.

No comments: