Friday, August 25, 2006

The Open Road

And then I went . . .

No one in front of me; no one behind me. Just the road, the open road. My mind empty for the first time in days. Windows down, wind blowing on my face, cd player blasting, and I went. Through twists, turns, curves, and straightaways. I went until I was almost lost but not quite. And then I turned around.

And then I went . . .

I found a new road and did the same thing. I went until I was almost lost but not quite. Still, my mind empty, the windows were down, the wind was blowing in my face, and the cd player was blasting. And I was almost cold but not quite. And my phone rang.

And then I went . . .

I met up with friends at a local bar. I listened to the band. I got a few drinks. I looked around wondering who all these new people were, knowing they're all the same. Even the people who think they're not the same as everyone else are the same. And I know I am too, but I need to find some character, someone to make me break away, someone who will show me who I really am. I started thinking. About everything. About nothing. About how no one understands, about how others understand, about guilt. Then it was time to go.

And I left. No one in front of me; no one behind me. Just me and the open road.

No comments: