Monday, May 17, 2010

We can't move forward until you send it back.

It's 2010. (Duh, I know.) I completed my first census last month, because I wanted to be counted. And because I was scared that some poor college kid was gonna show up at my door to actually count me if I didn't send it back. Problem is, I think I filled it out wrong!

Eek! It's not like my taxes where I can make an amendment and fix it. I don't think I can get it back.

 - Sarah, how could you have filled it out wrong? It's only ten questions.
I know. I know. My critical thinking skills may not have been with me.

 - What part did you fill out incorrectly?
My race.

 - Really? How is that possible?
Oh faithful blog reader, you may recall that 3 1/2 years ago I learned I was mixed-race. Yup. I'm a mutt, which I always knew, just didn't know that I was actually a mutt in terms of race as well. (Stranger things have happened.) I never forgot this, but apparently I didn't know how to fill out my census form until it was too late.

Today at work (ur season just ended, so I've got some time on my hands), I happened to come across the website for the Network of Arab-American Professionals. Under the Upcoming Events for New York, I saw the following:


(It's ok to laugh. I laughed out loud. My coworkers think I'm crazy sometimes.)

The NAAP suggests that people check "other" instead of "white" and write in "Arab" or "Arab-American." I suppose I could have written in something other than that too, but I failed this test. I also missed out on the NY Arab-American Comedy Festival! and the Afterwork Networker in Bryant Park. Ah, such is life.

Now I just have to file away this information for another 10 years when hopefully I don't fail the census again.

No comments: