Tuesday, July 06, 2010

Phone Etiquette 101

True story from today . . .


 - Hi, this is Sarah calling from [blah, blah, blah], and I wanted to get some information on facility reservations for a conference we're having in September. Please give me a call when you have a chance at 212-555-5555 x549. Thanks.

Aww, crap. I left the wrong extension. [We changed phone systems at work this past spring. The main number stayed the same, but we everyone in the organization got a new extension.]

 - Hi, this is Sarah calling from [blah, blah, blah] again. I just realized I left you the wrong number to reach me. My actual number is 212-555-5555 x11106. Thanks again.

[I look at my phone.] Oh my God. My extension is 11103! 11106 is my zip code!!! Please, please, please don't tell me I've been giving out the wrong extension for the last few months. [Checks a reservation form.] Oh no. Oh no. I e-mailed them too, so the contact info should be correct. [Checked my e-mail signature] Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhh. My e-mail signature has the wrong number in it! Oh my God! Oh my God!

[And there goes my day.]

No comments: