Sunday, April 11, 2010

Men in Tights

I went to Boston for the weekend not too long ago. It was the same weekend as Anime Boston which, according to the events website, boasted over 17,000 attendees. It's "New England's largest celebration of of Japanese animation, comics and pop culture." Events included an auction, panels, karaoke, and game shows, as well as a costume contest and starlight ball. I can appreciate the artistry of the comics. I can even understand thousands of people coming together to celebrate something. I draw the line when grown men dress as an animated character. Yup, that's right kids, grown men dressed up as animated characters. While waiting for the bus back to New York I stood next to a man dressed in all black, leather, a sword, and a funny hat (pointed, made of straw). That I don't get. Why would you spend your weekend dressed up in such a silly way? I just don't get it.

Instead of attending the anime convention, I spent the weekend with a good friend enjoying the historic sights (and sites) and seafood. Who doesn't love history and seafood?


This nice fellow let me have my picture taken with him. He's dressed as a colonist (a.k.a. Revolutionary War soldier) at the Battle of Concord.








Oh the hypocrisy. Love it.

No comments: