Sunday, November 14, 2010

Best. Idea. Ever.

I've been debating whether or not I should join a gym recently. There's not really a question of whether or not it would be good for me. The issue, as with most things, comes down to money. Yes, I know I should make exercise a priority, but . . . I don't have a good excuse.

I can't get a discount at NYSC through my office, but it's not much of a discount. I really want to take pilates again, but I can only find cheap yoga classes instead of cheap pilates.

This past weekend, however, I stumbled upon a superb idea. Ice skating! Sure, I may literally stumble at first, but it's the perfect solution.

Here's the deal. The rink (a.k.a. the Pond) at Bryant Park is open until 10 p.m. every night during the week (and until midnight on the weekends, but really, am I gonna go on the weekends?). In addition to being open late, it's free. That's right, free. There is a fee to rent skates ($13), but if my plan goes as, uh, planned, I'll buy ice skates later this week for about $40. Then it's a free workout. Bryant Park is pretty much on my way home from the office (sort of), so I have no reason not to go.

This idea is brilliant. What kind of SC girl wouldn't want her own ice skates anyway? Ok, the downside of this plan is that the rink is small, and there will be tons of people on the ice. I probably won't ever get up much speed, but how is this not the best plan ever? I'll get to peoplewatch while working out.

This has got to be foolproof. Update tomorrow.

No comments: