Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Trial Day 2

Observations from trial day 2:

  • The court officer definitely gets his GTL on.
  • I almost gagged watching the officer sitting by the defendant while he was gnawing on his hangnails for a good 15 minutes.
  • New York accents can be a bit distracting.
  • I feel as though I should clap every time a witness is excused from the stand.
  • Apparently, random people can come into the court room and disturb court proceedings. As in, a guy came in, said hi to the judge, shook his hand, hugged one of the court officers, and left. No one saw anything wrong with this.
  • The defense attorney's cell phone rang during the first witness' testimony.
  • I'm a little concerned with some of the other jurors. A group of us went to lunch at a cuban restaurant across the street from the court house. Two of my fellow jurors had difficulty figuring out what to eat because "the menu's not in English." To be clear, the descriptions of all the food were in English. The titles were in Spanish. One was concerned because none of the prices were on the menu until I pointed out that the numbers on the menu were not the numbers of the food orders (you know, like I'd like the A7, please), but rather the prices of the food. Oh, I wondered why there were three 14s.
  • Listening to undercover officers give testimony makes me feel special, and we all know I like to feel special.

No comments: