Thursday, November 18, 2010

Things I learned today during jury selection . . .

Things I learned today during jury selection . . .

  • At the beginning of the day, there's a video reenactment of a trial back in the day. Way back in the day. It was a trial by water. You know, where they tie up people accused of being a witch and throw them in a river. If the person floats, she's a witch. If she sinks, she not. This video is supposed to show how far our judicial system has come.
  • I should have avoided eye contact with the "People" and the defense attorney.
  • I should have said I think drug dealers are bad.
  • I should have said my purse was stolen out of my friend's car my first year out of college. Maybe, I should have cried about it too.
  • I should have said I'm too indispensable at work to sit on a jury at the moment. (I don't want to be vain, but it's true.)
  • I should have said I grew up in South Carolina instead of born in Ohio. Or perhaps that I moved to NYC from Mississippi.
  • I should have said that the defense attorney was an idiot when he compared basing a conviction on only part of the law to calling a burger minus the pickles and special sauce a Big Mac. (Yeah, that happened.)
  • I should have asked my friends who are lawyers what to say to convincingly and legally be excused from selection. Although I only know one lawyer in NYC (I'm not sure how that's possible either), I know lots of them in other places.
  • I should have said I must acquit if the glove don't fit.
  • I should have said Kew Gardens is way too far away and that I didn't see any gardens.
  • I should have said I needed the music from Law & Order to believe it was a real case.
Alas, I am juror #4 at the worst possible time for work. We're interviewing a few people in a couple of weeks, and I have a lot to do. I know it's my civic duty, and I know I'd probably want me on a jury. I'd just rather have me on a jury at a more convenient time. I just wish that the trial wasn't expected to last over a week. Oof.

No comments: